To apply for this job, please complete the Application Form on this page.
Note: Successful clearance of a background check and drug screening are necessary to move forward with your candidacy.
Disability Allies (DA) connects young adults and teenagers with or without special needs. DA is seeking part-time Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) to provide community-based services for people with special needs in Somerset County. DSPs travel to the home of a person with special needs living in the community, pick them up, take them into their community for social events, shopping, or other community activities. DSPs can also help mentor and coach consumers with special needs.
DSPs are the link to the community for those they serve. For some, they may be the eyes of those unable to see, or the voice for those who can’t speak. For others, they are friend, cheerleader and subtle support on the path to one’s true potential.
We provide one-on-one community services for high-functioning individuals with special needs. Unlike other organizations, we do not operate group homes, and we will not consider candidates who are looking to work overnight hours. We provide part-time opportunities based on our customer’s needs, which can include evening and weekend hours. Over time, applicants may qualify to provide services for more than one consumer.
- This position is a part-time position for up to eight hours per week, including prevocational.
- Spend time with the consumer as he engages in activities, such as volunteering and shopping.
- Plan shopping trips, educational classes and recreational activities that are in line with the consumer’s interests
- Help individuals to be as independent as possible with activities of daily living and assist them as necessary.
- DSPs may also facilitate community involvement by accompanying individuals on outings in the community or providing transportation to work or other activities.
- Help individual to determine the career direction through analyzing interest, situational assessments, etc.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be minimum 18 years of age
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance with no more than 5 points
- Need to be willing to provide transportation to individuals with disabilities in your own personal vehicle
- Must be willing work for at least 6 months
- Six months of experience in human services preferred
- Successful clearance of local and/or state background checks and a drug screen
.What We Offer:
- $0.31/ mile if the client is approved for transportation services (from client location to his destination)
- Up to 5 days New Jersey paid sick leave per year
Job Type: Part-time